Work Permits for Students

Who Needs a Work Permit?

All students between the ages of 14-17 must obtain a work permit. Those under 14 may not work legally, and those 18 and over no longer need a permit.

CCSC does not issue work permits. Please read the instructions below carefully. If you have further questions, call the Department of Labor Standards at 617-626-6952.

Required Steps:

  1. Once you are offered a job but before you begin working, ask your future employer to complete and sign the “Promise of Employment” (top section) of the state’s Employment Permit Application (download PDF). A parent/guardian also must sign the form.

Note: Students ages 14 and 15 must have their doctor complete and sign the Physicians Certificate of Health portion of the same Employment Permit Application form.

  1. Bring the completed and signed application along with proof of your age (birth certificate, passport, driver's license, or immigration record) to either of the two locations below. The student applying for the job (not a parent or guardian) must be the one to present the application, as his/her signature will be required.

CCSC students who are residents of any town may go to:
Rindge School of Technical Arts
459 Broadway, Cambridge
8 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on school days

CCSC students who are Boston residents may also go to:
Boston Latin Academy (Special Education Office)
443 Warren Street, Dorchester
after school hours, until 4:15 p.m.