Transitioning to our Middle School
Our small school and highly personalized approach provides each student with an individualized program that fosters academic excellence and supports social and emotional growth. Students are celebrated as integral, invaluable members of our diverse community. They quickly build strong relationships with each other and are well-known by their advisors, teachers, and other CCSC adults.
We recognize that many students need support as they transition from elementary school to the rigors of middle school. Our grade 6 through 8 middle school academic program focuses on important skills students will need in order to be successful in high school and beyond, such as time management, organization, decision making, study habits, and critical thinking. We also provide opportunities and structures for students to grow as individuals, advocate for themselves and each other, engage in important discussions, explore their interests, and experience joy in learning, growing, and achieving.
What to expect
- Every new student is assigned to an advisor, who communicates with families frequently and becomes their primary liaison with school staff.
- Coursework in humanities (English + history), mathematics, and science.
- Rigorous program which demands daily writing, reading, and discussion and builds computational, problem solving, and laboratory skills.
- Honors options in all classes.
- High levels of support before school, during the day, and after school -- including after school learning centers, staffed by teachers, and learning labs.
- An annual Roundtable Portfolio presentation to family and community members in every year. This is a 45-minute session during which students demonstrate mastery of learning acquired during the year.
- An extended school day that begins at 9:00 am and ends at 4:25 pm, except on Wednesdays.
- The opportunity to play on middle school athletics teams and compete against other schools across the state, as well as a variety of clubs and activities for students to explore their interests.
- Free breakfast and lunch every day for all students.
- Free transportation for Cambridge students who live more than 1.5 miles from school.